Re: '03114 - Unable to connect to Oracle' - Help !!

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:54:21 GMT

Derek Megyesi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a Verification Engineer at a local startup in Ottawa and we are
> installing Oracle 8i (8.1.7) on our Solaris 8 box. I am using the OUI
> (Oracle Universal Installer) GUI to do the installation and no matter what I
> do, I keep getting this pop-up error window "ORA-03114 - Unable to connect
> to Oracle."
>
> I have looked on the web for help and this problem is very common, yet the
> solutions that people give or very vague and often very techy. Oracle
> installation on unix should be very easy ..trivial.. I have done al the
> steps..set my semaphores, creating oracle and apache accounts, made the
> permissions correct. The problem is that Oracle can't talk to the Database.
>
> 1) What does the above error mean? and how is it generated?
> 2) What is the solution? How do I fix it?? Any help is valued !!
>
> Please help!
>
> Email me at dmegyesi_at_truecontext.com
>
> Derek

The biggest question is did you read the installation instructions on the CD and follow them exactly or just put the CD into the machine and assume it would do everything for you.

The answer to that question will have a big impact on what you need to do.

On Solaris you must edit /etc/system and put in the correct parameters You must create a .profile that exports the environment variables You must create a listener.ora and tnsnames.ora (for almost all configurations)

So yes the problem is common. But mostly because people don't follow the directions. If you did then paste in a copy of the tnsnames.ora, listener.ora, and .profile.

If not ... you know what to do.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jun 21 2002 - 14:54:21 CDT