Re: '03114 - Unable to connect to Oracle' - Help !!

From: Priyesh Patel <priyesh_at_mercurie.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 09:54:11 +0100

Oracle creates a database as part of the installation process. On Solaris, this will fail as the default init.ora file it uses will blow the limits for things like memory segments that you will find on a typical Solaris box.

Although some of the setup stages will fail, the installation will still complete. You can then use dbca to create the database. Choose the custom option and when it gives you the choice to create the database nbow or create scripts, elect to create the scripts. It will give you the directory where the scripts are created. Now substitute the init.ora it sets up with the default one in $HOME/dbs and you should have no problems creating your initial database. You can go ahead and use netasst to set up your network connection.

When everything is working, you can then tune the init.ora file to suit your requirements. At this point you may need to take a look at your settings for semaphores and memory segments.

Regards
Priyesh
www.mercurie.co.uk

"Derek Megyesi" <dmegyesi_at_truecontext.com> wrote in message news:M1KQ8.8162$YG5.1817863_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hello,
>
> I am a Verification Engineer at a local startup in Ottawa and we are
> installing Oracle 8i (8.1.7) on our Solaris 8 box. I am using the OUI
> (Oracle Universal Installer) GUI to do the installation and no matter what
> do, I keep getting this pop-up error window "ORA-03114 - Unable to connect
> to Oracle."
>
> I have looked on the web for help and this problem is very common, yet the
> solutions that people give or very vague and often very techy. Oracle
> installation on unix should be very easy ..trivial.. I have done al the
> steps..set my semaphores, creating oracle and apache accounts, made the
> permissions correct. The problem is that Oracle can't talk to the
Database.