Re: How to restore a cold backup?

From: Alessandro Nazzani <alexnsb_at_tin.it>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:02:12 +0200

Anthony,

thank you very much for your kind reply. See comments inline.

> 2) I think you're a bit confused here:

Absolutely :-) (or, more simply, ignorant...)

> Any database you create on the
> new server will have absolutely nothing to do with the restoration. If
> the question is whether it matters where ORACLE_HOME is located then, no
> it doesn't matter.

My problem is that in the init files there are references to path names containing the original drive letter. In fact, I tried replacing all the files in the new PC but I wasn't able to start the db (couldn't find E:\.... files). Now I'm trying to setup a network drive named E: and put all the files there. But, as you already pointed out, I'm probably *a bit* confused...

> 4) It's not complex at all. The only kicker here is that you need to
> know what you are doing.

See answer to 2

> You should first read Howard J. Rogers'
> excellent documents

Too bad thay are no longer available online... or do you have a valid address where I can find these docs?

Alessandro Received on Fri May 31 2002 - 04:02:12 CDT