Re: connect to a remote Oracle db using PLSQL procedure

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 15:49:36 GMT

Claudia Gambetta wrote:

> I need to connect to a remote Oracle db using PLSQL procedure.
> I don't know if it's possible and what is the right way to solve
> this problem.
> I tried to use "connect username/password_at_service_name" like SQLPlus
> but this command is not on hand in PLSQL.
>
> Help me, Please.
> Claudia (Italy, Rome)

You do not connect to a remote machine across a database link.

You connect to to your local server and then query across the database link.

So once connected use the @database_link to indicate the location of the tables/views you wish to query.

To connect to the remote machine directly you must have it in your TNSNAMES.ORA and then connect to it in the normal manner.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu May 30 2002 - 10:49:36 CDT