Re: initial config problem oracle9i - help !!!

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 22:41:32 +0200

On 26 May 2002 20:13:37 GMT, skinnel3_at_aol.com (Skinnel3) wrote:

>Running windows-me.
>installed free trial version oracle9i without problem,
>but completely skipped configuration steps at end
>of installation because they are 'supposedly' optional
>and I have no idea what goes in many of the fields.
>When startup SQL-plus, login popup prompts for
>username, password, hoststring. I enter valid user/password
>combinations SYSTEM/MANAGER or SCOTT/TIGER
>without hoststring. Always get oracle error message 'TNS: protocol
>adapter error'. If I startup SQL-plus from the command line
>to bypass the login popup by
>entering 'sqlplus.exe /NOLOG', SQL-plus starts up. However,
>whenever I enter a SQL statement, I get the oracle error
>'not connected'. What am I missing in the configuration step
>which is keeping oracle from running most simple basic local operating
>mode? OR is there a general windows-ME / ORacle incompatibility
>problem?
>thanks,
>m.skinner

Oracle is indeed not supported for ME.
However, one of the 'optional' steps you skipped is creating the database
the other one: setting up net8
So it is quite natural it doesn't work.
If you want to proceed run the database configuration assistant and the net8 configuration assistant. No party without those!

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun May 26 2002 - 15:41:32 CDT