initial config problem oracle9i - help !!!

From: Skinnel3 <skinnel3_at_aol.com>
Date: 26 May 2002 20:13:37 GMT

Running windows-me.
installed free trial version oracle9i without problem, but completely skipped configuration steps at end of installation because they are 'supposedly' optional and I have no idea what goes in many of the fields. When startup SQL-plus, login popup prompts for username, password, hoststring. I enter valid user/password combinations SYSTEM/MANAGER or SCOTT/TIGER without hoststring. Always get oracle error message 'TNS: protocol adapter error'. If I startup SQL-plus from the command line to bypass the login popup by
entering 'sqlplus.exe /NOLOG', SQL-plus starts up. However, whenever I enter a SQL statement, I get the oracle error 'not connected'. What am I missing in the configuration step which is keeping oracle from running most simple basic local operating mode? OR is there a general windows-ME / ORacle incompatibility problem?
thanks,
m.skinner Received on Sun May 26 2002 - 15:13:37 CDT