Re: Normalization, Natural Keys, Surrogate Keys

From: Kai Ponte <cybermusicdude_at_aol.com>
Date: 16 May 2002 06:40:22 -0700

Joe Novella <jnovella_at_voicenet.com> wrote in message

> Ideally, a detailed application design should not just include the
> database design, but also the process model, menu structures, screen
> layouts and sequence, as well as a number of other items. Is the system
> being implemented in phases? If so, then a project plan, complete with
> detailed resource constraints and timelines should be included.

Hmmm, you'd think that maybe somebody at this company woul've had some design classes. I believe this is System Design 101. :) Yes, they should've included all of the above and more, but haven't. Particularly when the project is costing around $80 million a year. As for a project plan, well...

Anyway, they've indicated that because they're doing an "iterave" approach that they don't need detail design or requirements. Somehow the non-technical officals paying the bills have bought into this flawed concept.

> Has the consulting firm made an effort to look at the existing data?
Yes, they've done countless hours of data mapping. However, they've spent relatively little time understanding the business processes.

> You mentioned the mainframe. What is the mainframe DBMS?
IMS
> A table of code tables can be used to more efficiently manage critical
> sets of values. But this is a design issue, as opposed to a data model
> issue.

I can see your point here. Thanks.

Thanks for your assessment. I just had to hear something from a third-party.

KP Received on Thu May 16 2002 - 08:40:22 CDT