Re: Reducing redolog switch frequence

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 15:07:11 GMT

100.17706_at_germanynet.de wrote:

> Hello
>
> We use a data warehouse application (PL/SQL) and produce over 100 redo log
> files 10 MB in size each per hour. In the init parameter file, we have
> log_buffer = 20979712.
>
> What can I do to try to reduce the redo log switch frequence to a healthy
> value of about one per half an hour?
>
> Because this application runs very slow, we assume that harddisk I/O due
> to redo log operations could be a bottleneck.
>
> How can I improve performance by somehow tuning parameters related to
> the redo log files?
>
> The same question would apply to parameters related to rollback segments,
> I guess.
>
> ANY suggestion will be welcome!
>
> Thanks
> Rick

> http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups
> NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts
> made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email abuse_at_newsone.net

This is a data warehouse or an OLTP application? 10GB of redo logs per hour doesn't strike me as a system that is loaded at 2:00am and put into read-only mode for the following 23 hours.

Assuming it is a warehouse, if things went South, would you use the archived redo logs for recovery or just dump the contents and reload?

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue May 14 2002 - 10:07:11 CDT