Re: special characters in SqlPlus under Linux

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 20:43:24 +0200

"Frank Heijmans" <no_ftgh_at_xs4all.nl_spam> wrote in message news:7cavdu8td5lfehtd9a69ru7mrkrh3g3eep_at_4ax.com...
> Hi
>
> Does anybody know what to do about the following problem;
>
> When using the commandline sql client provided with the linux version
> of Oracle 8.1.6, special
> characters get malformed. For instance: a "é" is turned into an "e".
> I'm quite certain that it is the sql client doing this because when
> using the sqlplus client for windows
> the characters are displayed correctly and even when I emulate the
> sqlplus client or toad under wine,
> no malformation is taking place. Can anybody help me?

Looks like the boring NLS_LANG issue.
You don't seem to have the NLS_LANG environment variable in your .profile It needs to be set to
AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 or
AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P15 if you want to have the Euro. Depending on the rest of your environment you might need to change your locale settings.
I'm almost sure this has been posted numerous times. Why do people *NEVER* search the archives. This is a volunteer business, as you might be aware.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA