Re: Application Developer Vs DBA Positions

From: Jon Waterhouse <jonwaterhouse_at_mail.gov.nf.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 15:45:30 -0230

> 1)What are the advantages of being an Oracle App Dev over a regular
> App Dev, like what are the reasons that a company might hire a person
> with OCP AD rather than a person who has 3 years of VB development
> experience ?
>
> 2)Can't applications be developed for Oracle Database using VB / Java
> ? So how does OCP AD help ?

If you have a look at the AD OCP guide you will find that it is completely unrelated to VB and Java - at least the one I bought a couple of months ago. Starts with SQL,PL/SQL, triggers, stored procedures, dependencies etc. and then the second half of the book is on using Oracle Forms and Reports.

Certainly these are not the only tools for building applications that run off an Oracle database, but for the shops where that is what they do, VB and Java skills are not going to be very useful. Received on Mon May 13 2002 - 13:15:30 CDT