Re: ORACLE_HOME for upgrade

From: Vince Laurent <vlaurent_at_NOSPAMPLEASE.networkusa.net>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 09:06:30 -0500

On Thu, 9 May 2002 00:24:31 +0200, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>"Vince Laurent" <vlaurent_at_NOSPAMPLEASE.networkusa.net> wrote in message
>> We are currently running Oracle 8.0.6.2 with the ORACLE_HOME set as
>> /oracle/SID. The upgrade docs for 8.1.7 say set the new home to
>> /oracle/SID/817_64.
>>
>> Well, what happens to all the 8.0.6 parts of Oracle that are
>> upgraded/replaced by 8.1.7? What happens when I want to upgrade to 9i
>> or something else? Will I need an /oracle/SID/9i_64?
>>
>> What I am trying to find out is disk space requirements. I have 2G
>> currently for /oracle/SID. The upgrade docs say I 1.7G for the new
>> home. What I would like to do is recover the space 8.0.6.2 used and
>> use it for 8.1.7 (and so on in the future). We don't have 2G to toss
>> at the system every time Oracle needs to be updated.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Vince
>
>I'm not sure what your concern is.
>First of all, disk is cheap, and 2G is nothing nowadays.

2G is expensive when you have to buy it in groups of 5 for an XP256 system. And you cannot buy it that small. The smallest unit is 220G for $15K (If I recall the last purchase numbers well).

>Secondly, you seem to have all of the oracle_homes incorrect, the convention
>in OFA is /u<x>/app/oracle/product/8.1.7

SAP != Oracle. Page 9 of "Migrating/Upgrading to Oracle Version 8.1.7: UNIX says to set the following variable ORACLE_HOME to /oracle/<SAPSID>/817_32 or 817_64".

>and the SID is definitely not involved.

According to SAP it is.

>Thirdly, wisdom dictates that you shouldn't overwrite your current software, in order to be capable to thoroughly test the new release.

Once I upgrade the database the old software won't work anyway. I did two backups - an offline and and full file system (with EVERYTHING shut down that could be shut down).

>So: why are you concerned, when after the test period you can simply deinstall the old release and doing so 'recover' diskspace?

Can I deinstall before I upgrade if I don't have the space?

>It looks like to me your installation currently already has almost no free space.
>It maybe cheaper to avoid juggling with free space, and simply buy a new disk.

See my earlier comment on cost...

>Please don't crosspost.

No problem.

Thanks, too, for the reply but it still doesn't answer my question. This is an inheritated system and what I have as far as space is what I have. I have to follow the SAP rules/guidlines for installation or SAP doesn't provide all the support we need.

Any other suggestions?

Vince