Re: ORACLE_HOME for upgrade

From: news.connect <bob_at_bob.com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 21:29:35 +1000

Vince,

My 0.02 worth. I suggest that you either enlist a SAP basis consultant or find a SAP basis newsgroup. If you talk to "normal" dbas they will respond as above. All of the advice given thus far is sound Oracle dba advice. BTW, if you have spent large buckets implementing a SAP environment, $15K to provide a safe working environment for it is fairly trivial.

Regards,

Kevin
"Vince Laurent" <vlaurent_at_NOSPAMPLEASE.networkusa.net> wrote in message news:ouvkduoa3k5mvpkfq9f62chdrv1qmd7t10_at_4ax.com...
> On Thu, 9 May 2002 00:24:31 +0200, "Sybrand Bakker"
> <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>

> >"Vince Laurent" <vlaurent_at_NOSPAMPLEASE.networkusa.net> wrote in message
> >> We are currently running Oracle 8.0.6.2 with the ORACLE_HOME set as
> >> /oracle/SID. The upgrade docs for 8.1.7 say set the new home to
> >> /oracle/SID/817_64.
> >>
> >> Well, what happens to all the 8.0.6 parts of Oracle that are
> >> upgraded/replaced by 8.1.7? What happens when I want to upgrade to 9i
> >> or something else? Will I need an /oracle/SID/9i_64?
> >>
> >> What I am trying to find out is disk space requirements. I have 2G
> >> currently for /oracle/SID. The upgrade docs say I 1.7G for the new
> >> home. What I would like to do is recover the space 8.0.6.2 used and
> >> use it for 8.1.7 (and so on in the future). We don't have 2G to toss
> >> at the system every time Oracle needs to be updated.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Vince
> >
> >I'm not sure what your concern is.
> >First of all, disk is cheap, and 2G is nothing nowadays.
>
> 2G is expensive when you have to buy it in groups of 5 for an XP256
> system. And you cannot buy it that small. The smallest unit is 220G
> for $15K (If I recall the last purchase numbers well).
>
> >Secondly, you seem to have all of the oracle_homes incorrect, the
convention
> >in OFA is /u<x>/app/oracle/product/8.1.7
>
> SAP != Oracle. Page 9 of "Migrating/Upgrading to Oracle Version
> 8.1.7: UNIX says to set the following variable ORACLE_HOME to
> /oracle/<SAPSID>/817_32 or 817_64".
>
> >and the SID is definitely not involved.
>
> According to SAP it is.
>
> >Thirdly, wisdom dictates that you shouldn't overwrite your current
software, in order to be capable to thoroughly test the new release.

> Once I upgrade the database the old software won't work anyway. I did
> two backups - an offline and and full file system (with EVERYTHING
> shut down that could be shut down).
>
> >So: why are you concerned, when after the test period you can simply
deinstall the old release and doing so 'recover' diskspace?