Re: Fifty years' experience in C programming; 20 in VB...

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 08:08:10 +0100

"Daniel A. Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3CD40171.FEEB1368_at_exesolutions.com...
> aztek wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure where all this degree knocking came from - maybe the fact
that
> > in the US chances are given to people without a (completed) higher
> > education.
>
> To be perfectly honest, in the US, competence is not a requirement.
>
> And there are billions of dollars worth of over-budget and failed projects
> prove it.

I thought we were talking about technical positions. projects fail because of

  1. leadership failure by the board
  2. project management failure
  3. over ambitious requirements
  4. scope creep
  5. insufficient requirements analysis.
  6. over agressive timescales.

and very very rarely because of technical incompetence. In other words technical projects normally fail for business reasons - though it is then much easier to blame the technology or the supplier than to say well actually the board didn't have a clue what we were doing or why.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA