Re: Fifty years' experience in C programming; 20 in VB...

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 15:13:48 GMT

Kyralessa wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Developer wrote:
> >
> > > I'm looking for a contract job in one of areas of my experience:
> > > [snip]
> > > Mail: art_of_proramming_at_seznam.cz
> > >
> > > Detailed CV upon request.
> > > Working languages: English, German, Czech.
>
> Based on the e-mail address noted above, I'd say at least one of those
> languages needs a bit of work!
>
> > [snip]
> >
> > No one is competent in as many things as you have listed. I'm not
> saying that
> > you don't know them to some extent. But in the current marketplace
> people look
> > for experts, not generalists.
> >
> > If you want to be successful I would urge you to decide what it is you
> want to
> > do and apply for each position with a resume that reflects your
> experience in
> > that area and that area alone. When I see a resume that looks like a
> to-do list
> > I just toss it aside and so do most recruiters.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan
>
> So why, Daniel, do so many companies post such enormous laundry lists of
> skills on their websites for any one position? The impression I get
> from most job postings I've looked at is that companies ARE looking for
> someone who's mastered more than is humanly possible: Five to seven
> years experience in at least fifteen of some twenty different acronyms
> listed. Maybe if companies didn't advertise their jobs this way and
> were more honest about what essential _core_ skills were required for
> each job, job-seekers wouldn't feel the need to make resumes like this.

Your question is an excellent one and I wish had an answer. I see these adds all the time. All I can tell you is that from my experience as someone that fills technical positions at times, not someone that works in HR, if I see a list like that I just ignore it and I know others that do to.

In today's market we are looking for people who can hit the ground running and there are lots of them to choose from. There is no value in getting someone that is mediocre in C++, mediocre in Oracle, mediocre in Korn shell scripting, and mediocre as an architect.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 10:13:48 CDT