Re: Fifty years' experience in C programming; 20 in VB...

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 15:15:15 GMT

aztek wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I completely agree with you on job adverts asking for ridiculous amounts of
> 'expertise'! I've been studying various programming languages and of course
> the other essential theory ingredients for 3 years, got diploma, doing
> degree and can't even get an interview - and yes, my marks are excellent.
> Here in Australia, not only do employers / head hunters list what seems like
> an impossible number of skills from both networking and programming areas,
> but in addition, a junior seems to be considered someone with 2-3 years
> experience!!! IMPOSSIBLE!!!
>
> Well, that's all I had to say. Good luck to the original poster and to
> everyone in my situation!
>
> Rachel
>
> "Kyralessa" <ryan_lundy_at_spamless_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message

> > Based on the e-mail address noted above, I'd say at least one of those
> > languages needs a bit of work!
> >

> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > No one is competent in as many things as you have listed. I'm not
> > saying that
> > > you don't know them to some extent. But in the current marketplace
> > people look
> > > for experts, not generalists.
> > >
> > > If you want to be successful I would urge you to decide what it is you
> > want to
> > > do and apply for each position with a resume that reflects your
> > experience in
> > > that area and that area alone. When I see a resume that looks like a
> > to-do list
> > > I just toss it aside and so do most recruiters.
> > >
> > > Daniel Morgan
> >

> > So why, Daniel, do so many companies post such enormous laundry lists of
> > skills on their websites for any one position? The impression I get
> > from most job postings I've looked at is that companies ARE looking for
> > someone who's mastered more than is humanly possible: Five to seven
> > years experience in at least fifteen of some twenty different acronyms
> > listed. Maybe if companies didn't advertise their jobs this way and
> > were more honest about what essential _core_ skills were required for
> > each job, job-seekers wouldn't feel the need to make resumes like this.

Your posting reminded me of a phone call I got from a recruiter looking for someone with expertise in migrating Oracle 8 to Oracle 11i.

It is still good for a laugh ... hopefully at the expense of HR departments (something Scott Adams does frequently in the Dilbert cartoon strip).

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 10:15:15 CDT