Re: Sqlplus command separator and line breaks

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 01:35:32 +0200

"David Wright" <David_wright_at_spra.com> wrote in message news:9202827AFDavidwrightspracom_at_64.164.98.6...
> Is there a way to make the command separator work in sqlplus?
>
> for instance, the command
>
> SQL> spool c:\junk.lst ; select * from mytable ; spool off;
>
> Does not work. I have to either hit enter after each ; or put carrige
returns
> in my @ batch files.
>
> I tried all the different version of setting the command, the options are
c,
> ;, on off I think. But that did not help.
>
> Now, I am using version 8.1.7, on a (Dell XP) PC, lauching sqlplus from
the
> cmd.exe (DOS) command prompt.

Look at it this way:
Oracle protects you from making your code *completely* unreadable. Also you are having sql*plus commands (spool) and sql commands on one line. The separator for a sql*plus command is CR/LF, so if you replace the 2 semicolons by two CR/LF and add one extra CR/LF you have only 1 measly CR/LF extra.
You won't develop RSI by doing so, and you might save your successor a few headaches.

In short: this is just the way it works and as it has been defined in the Sql*plus reference manual.

Oracle 8i isn't certified for XP.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker