Re: Help Installing Oracle 8i Personal

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:12:14 +0200

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:08:24 GMT, david <dweddle1_at_swbell.net> wrote:

>I am having problems starting Oracle 8i personal.. I can log on to SQL+
> as system ..pw manager.. but how to mount the databases I want..and
>where to log into them? I am just starting with Oracle at square 1. Thank
>you for any help you might give, or websites. Thanks, David

For any Oracle product, 'starting at square 1' would mean read the 'Oracle Getting Started Manual'
In 8.1.5 you have a fixed database oracle, instance ORCL, you can not create any database.
The Oracle start and stop icons in the Oracle Database Administration group start, mount, and open the database, resp. close, dismount and stop the database.
You also seem to use 'databases' in the sqlserver meaning of the word. In Oracle a sqlserver database equates a schema. You probably won't be capable running 2 Personal Oracle databases/instances at the same, and you will probably also have insufficient resources to do.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Apr 30 2002 - 07:12:14 CDT