Re: Two Networking cards

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:12:16 +0200

On 30 Apr 2002 01:01:20 -0700, t.alexander_at_ads-tec.de (Tom) wrote:

>Hi,
>I am fairly new to Oracle and use Oracle 8i as a platform for DB
>programming. I installed Oracle 8i locally on my PC (Windows 2000 Pro)
>and got everything up an running fairly quickly (pretty excited about
>all of the features it has). Next to my Oracle PC I implemented a
>second pc (Windows 95), to connect to the Oracle DB. I had to use
>Oracle 7 SQL* NET Client because I have an old 16 bit application
>(which I'm reprogramming to 32bit) that needed Oracle 7 Client
>supporting files. Both PCs were connected through a hub on our local
>LAN using TCP/IP and everything worked great. Until...
>One Day my networking admin came and told us because of security
>purposes he would only allow one PC onto the LAN. Damn.. I then
>installed a second Networking card onto my Oracle PC, created a subnet
>and connected the second PC to the first using a crosslink cable (TCP
>Ping woks fine).
>Upon rebooting I sadly found that my, since so stable, Oracle wouldn't
>start. I checked the services on my OraclePC and found:
>
>OracleServiceDB1--Running (Database)
>OracleOraHome81TNSListener -- Not running
>OracleOraHome81Agent--Not Running
>(other services not started)
>
>Whenever I disable the second added Networking card on my Oracle PC
>everything works fine. (Tried it 3 times)
>
>So, my question is :
>
>How do I get Oracle running using two Networking cards. Do I need to
>define through which Card Oracle's TNS Listener is listening to?
>Do I need to strangle my network admin?
>
>I searched the Web and cant find a solution ..
>
>Your help is GREATLY appreciated..

I would first strangle the network admin. I can't believe in 2002 multiple PCs in a LAN would constitute a security risk. If strangling the network admin fails
you need to setup two different listeners (please use the net8 assistant for this), listening on two different ip-addresses or dns names resolving to different ip-adresses (preferred) (for each card one) and two different TCP/IP ports (once a port is occupied you can't use it for another listener). This should work ok.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Apr 30 2002 - 07:12:16 CDT