Re: poor performance

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:38:38 GMT

I will repeat myself ... you need to bring in a consultant for a week or two. This is far too complex if you are looking to do a good job for something you just play around with.

I would definitely use a block size of 8K or larger. But whether 8K or 32K is not just some arbitrary value where I can say use 16K and it would have any meaning. Some of your questions about tablespace defaults such as pctincrease can, and in my opinion should, be dealt with by using locally managed tablespaces with uniform extent.

With respect to pctfree an pctused this is something that must be determined on a table by table basis depending on how it will be used. Basically how much of the block should be left empty after inserts to handle additional row information in the block created by updating the row.

But back to the top ... there is a reason why DBAs are paid a lot of money. It is the huge wealth of knowledge they must possess to do their job well. You wouldn't go to law.criminal.murder and ask a bunch of lawyers to tell you how to prepare your defense and by the same token I would advise you to not do this with a commercial database either. If you want to play and learn ... do it on your own personal PC.

Daniel Morgan