Re: poor performance

From: John Calder <john_at_pixieware.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 22:08:57 +1200

"Tonia Stakemire" <g00s3874_at_campus.ru.ac.za> wrote in message news:1018945442.117716_at_turtle.ru.ac.za...
> An example is that it takes 30 secs to upload a picture (500Kb) into the
> database. Isn't that really slow?

I am new to Oracle myself, but coming to it from experience with other database engines, so I may be able to share your point of view. I need to work with long strings, and I am noticing that Oracle needs at the least special attention to the methods used when storing anything bigger than 4000 bytes. The only deal-with-this-automatically object I have found is the Oracle OLEDB provider and it iis slow to write for me. The lines I am working on are Oracle's OO4O object (concern how incompatible its programming syntax and methods are with the other programming I do)
Most promising, but I'll need to do some more experimentation is the PL/SQL language with at first look appears a lot nicer than other stored procedure languages I have worked with. Some question marks on how it is going to handle long strings for me . CLOB variables it seems from my reading so far but I need to try doing some stuff to make sense of the documentation on that. Received on Fri Apr 19 2002 - 05:08:57 CDT