Referencing an Oracle Sequence

From: casper44 <dkniveton71_at_msn.com>
Date: 13 Apr 2002 14:25:19 -0700

If I have an Oracle sequence identified as a primary key in one table how do I reference that sequence in another table. For example I have customer_id as a sequence and primary key in the customer table. Then I want to reference customer_id in the orders table by making customer_id a column in the orders table and a FK reference the PK the in customer table. What I really want to know is when I use insert statements to enter the information for the orders table what do I put in for customer_id?

create table CUSTOMER (
customer_id VARCHASR(10),
constraint CUSTOMER_ID_PK PRIMARY KEY (customer_id))

CREATE sequence customer_id
increment by 1
start with 10000
NOCACHE
ORDER; insert into orders values (customer_id.NextVal);

Thanks.

create table ORDERS (
orders_id VARCHAR2(10),
customer_id VARCHASR(10),
constraint ORDERS_ID_PK PRIMARY KEY (orders_id), constraint ORDERS_FK
  FOREIGN KEY(customer_id) REFERENCES customer (customer_id));

insert into orders values ('0000000001','<??WHAT GOES HERE??>'); Received on Sat Apr 13 2002 - 16:25:19 CDT