Stupid Question: Be Kind

From: Dave Williams <dwilliams_at_dtw-consulting.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:24:06 -0400

Ok,

    I'm trying to install Oracle Applications R11.5.5 on my Linux machine at home. This is more for curiosity than anything else. Also, I am NOT a DBA so please be patient here. I have Mandrake 8.2, which I know is not certified but it is what I have installed and I wanted to give it a go before I break down and install RH.

So far the installation has gone well and I am stuck because of my lack of DBA skills :-( From what I can gather 8.1.7 has been installed and so has the PROD and VIS databases. The installation is about 20% of the way through and it go stuck on a window titled 'Configuration Tools'. This window has 3 steps that it is trying to do automatically. These steps are as follows :-

  1. Create DB listener
  2. Recreate DB control file
  3. Convert DB character set.

Step 1 completed fine and I can see the listener running when I do a grep. So far this is only for the PROD database.

Step 2 fails because I think that the first step shutdown the database and now step 2 cannot log into the PROD database. I have no idea how to start the PROD database. I have looked at the 8i docs and I have tried the following: -

ok....just found out that I need to run addbctl.sh start to bring up the database. This is not working since I get an 'end of communications channel' error.

No idea why..I'm stuck...any idea/help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave. Received on Fri Apr 12 2002 - 19:24:06 CDT