Re: oradim -inst (ok) -srvc (why)

From: Rene Nyffenegger <rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch>
Date: 14 Mar 2002 19:55:56 GMT

>>Rene

> oradim can shutdown the instance only, leaving the service running.
> Consequently you need option to start the instance only using oradim.
> Frankly, I don't see why you make so much fuzz about it.
> The syntax may not be 100% logical, so what?

Sybrand

I make so much fuzz about it because I want to understand. When I read about the options that one can give to oradim, I didn't understand. As to the syntax not being 100% logical: of course, I don't insist on it being 100% logical. The thing is, what I read there didn't fit into my view of oracle's concept. Obviously, I needed (and still need) to adjust that view. And I hoped that someone could lead me to a higher level of understanding when I posted my question.

At the risk of being a nuisance, I try to rephrase the thing that doesn't make sense to me (beware, I don't say it doesn't make sense at all, I just say it doesn't make sense to me. Most Probably because I lack an essential piece of information).

Oradim can be used to start and stop both a service and an instance. So much is clear from the documentation and also from your answer. My believe, however, is, that if I start an instance, this instance is a service. Obviously this is wrong. So, what does the service do or what is its responsibilty and what does the instance do.

Rene

> Regards
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Recherchen im schweizerischen Handelsregister:
http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/SwissCompanies/Search.php3