Re: oradim -inst (ok) -srvc (why)

From: Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 06:12:44 -0700

Rene Nyffenegger wrote:

> Hi Daniel
>
> > I don't know where you got this. Go to oracle\ora81\bin and type oradim
> > for the executable. It will print to the DOS window the correct syntax.
>
> There is no discrepancy between the document (which I found here, I believe:
> http://download-west.oracle.com/otndoc/oracle9i/901
> _doc/win.901/a90164/ch1.htm#1033815 , subtitle "Using the ORADIM Utility to
> Administer an Oracle Instance") and the output of running oradim -h:
>
> C:\oracle\ora81\bin>.\oradim
> ORADIM: <Befehl> [Optionen]. Bitte lesen Sie das Handbuch.
> Bitte geben Sie einen der folgenden Befehle ein:
> Erstellen Sie eine Instanz, indem Sie die folgenden Parameter angeben:
> -NEW -SID Sid | -SRVC Dienst [-INTPWD Kennwort] [-MAXUSERS Zahl] [-
> STARTMODE a|m] [-PFILE Datei] [-TIMEOUT Sek.]
> Bearbeiten Sie eine Instanz, indem Sie die folgenden Parameter angeben:
> -EDIT -SID sid [-NEWSID sid] [-INTPWD Kennwort] [-STARTMODE
> auto|manuell] [-PFILE Dateiname]
> [-SHUTMODE a|i|n] [-SHUTTYPE Dienst|Inst|Dienst,Inst] [-TIMEOUT
> Sek.]
> L÷schen Sie Instanzen, indem Sie folgende Angaben machen:
> -DELETE -SID sid | -SRVC Dienstname
> Fahren Sie Dienste und Instanz hoch, indem Sie die folgenden Parameter
> angeben:
> -STARTUP -SID sid [-USRPWD Kennwort] [-STARTTYPE srvc|inst|srvc,inst] [-
> PFILE Dateiname]
> Fahren Sie Dienste und Instanz herunter, indem Sie die folgenden Parameter
> angeben:
> -SHUTDOWN -SID sid [-USRPWD Kennwort] [-SHUTTYPE srvc|inst|srvc,inst] [-
> SHUTMODE a | i | n]
> Fragen Sie nach einem Hilfesystem, indem Sie die folgenden Parameter
> angeben: -? | -h | -help
>
> May I reask the question, what (or why) is there a -STARTTYPE srvc and inst.
>
> Rene
>

> > But I never use oradim to start or stop a Windows database. You can set
> > the service to start and stop with Windows automatically in the control
> > panel.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan
> >

> > Rene Nyffenegger wrote:
> >
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> Here's my problem with oradim.
> >>
> >> Oracle's doc for 8i reads
> >>
> >> To create an instance...
> >> Use this syntax:
> >>
> >> ORADIM -NEW -SID SID | -SRVC SERVICE_NAME [-INTPWD INTERNAL_PWD] -
> >> SHUTTYPE
> >> SRVC | INST | SRVC, INST
> >>
> >> This makes sense to me. I create an instance, named SID, represented
> >> in windows as a service, named SERVICE_NAME
> >>
> >> However, the following doesn't make sense to me:
> >>
> >> To start an instance...
> >> Use this syntax:
> >> ORADIM -STARTUP -SID SID [-USRPWD USER_PWD] [-STARTTYPE SRVC | INST |
> >> SRVC,
> >> INST] [-PFILE FILENAME]
> >>
> >> particularly, it's the "-STARTTYPE SRVC, INST" that does confuse me.
> >>
> >> The doc goes on and explains:'Indicates whether to start the service
> [...]
Oracle on Windoze runs as a service, that is, a single program running many threads. Contrast this to UNIX, where Oracle runs as several processes. The oradim utility is used to start the service and optionally start an instance. It does not create an instance.

Also, a database is more than files. An Oracle instance is comprised of data files belonging to the instance (including control files, redo logs, init files, etc.), memory (SGA) used by the instance, and the processes (or in Windoze case, threads) used to perform the tasks necessary for the database to function.

--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA