Re: What database shall I use???

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 04:44:27 GMT

Any of these file based databases where there really isn't a server, but is client based - which an Access database is - the corruption factor - which when it hits does not tell you at the moment it occurs - is very dependent upon the stability of ALL the pieces of the network. For example, I have seen it have terrible problems in places where the infrastructure is not as stable as yours presumably is. In non-IT places there can often be problems with stable power which can wreck havoc on an Access and other file based systems database.(They are just not designed for such abuse.) Granted people should have stable networks, but the reality is that there is a lot of variance in quality of infrastructure. Commercial RDBMS's (eg Oracle, DB2 , et al) are designed to weather such abuses. They do cost more and require more server hardware. But hey the right tool for the right need. Jim