Re: What database shall I use???

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:47:57 -0000

"David W. Fenton" <dXXXfenton_at_bway.net> wrote in message news:91CABF804dfentonbwaynet_at_news-server.nyc.rr.com...
> Creating poorly performing drivers for standard interfaces in order
> to force customers to use a proprietary tool is not a "customer
> retention" strategy. Well, it wouldn't be for me. It's precisely
> the kind of thing that would drive me to purchase from a different
> company entirely.

Hmm VJ++ anyone? A poorly performing non-standard extension to a cross-platform standard created specifically to bury the competition.

Seriously. As I said the oracle ODBC drivers are not poor. They are fine. The MS provider for oracle though doesn't seem to advanced much if at all in the last few years. Whilst I understand the MS reasons for this the OP never stated that he was using Oracle ODBC drivers just that he was accessing Oracle using ODBC.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA