Re: What database shall I use???

From: Pete Cresswell <x_at_y.z>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 18:06:51 GMT

RE/
>No, perhaps I should have been clearer, my experience is using it with an
>Oracle database, which *should* be the same as it is still accessing linked
>tables. Some of the problems with it when connected to Oracle? Suddenly
>incorrectly interpreting date formats when importing in to a native access
>table for unknown reasons, suddenly missing columns of data in reports,
>dropping ODBC connections for no apparent reason, missing some data on
>reports that show up in the corresponding and identical SQL query, etc....

This is just a guess from somebody with extremely limited experience, but could the method of accessing (no pun intended...) the Oracle DB be a problem?

Sounds like you're going after it with DAO/Jet/ODBC.

The successful Access-front-end/Client-Server back end apps I'm familiar with (but haven't written) all use ADO hooked in through the DB vendor's "Data Provider". Given that scenario, it doesn't seem like it would be any diff between Access and VB.

Pete Cresswell Received on Wed Mar 06 2002 - 12:06:51 CST