Re: Oracle Corp using desupported versions for it's activities was Re: asktom.oracle.com

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 2 Mar 2002 10:24:05 -0800

In article <u81k75qsbe6ccb_at_corp.supernews.com>, "Sybrand says...

> [...]
>> Thomas Kyte wrote:
>> >
>> > In article <lEzf8.4568$zU2.716670_at_news1.news.adelphia.net>, "Scott
>says...

>> > You seem to have posted at 8:49 am GMT on friday (3:49 am EST for me)...
>> >
>> > Over the last 24 hours (from 9:50am EST thurs - 9:50am EST fri) my stats
>for
>> > page generation were:
>> >
>> > Pages Genererated 18,149
>> > Avg Elap seconds/page 0.37
>> > Slowest/Fastest Page 4.45/0.12 seconds (some of my report pages
>take a bit)
>> >
>> > I did not see any unusual spike or decline in pages generated:
>> >
>> > CASEWH CNT_LAST_24HRS CNT_PRIOR_24HRS CNT_DIFF
>> > ------ -------------- --------------- ----------
>> > Fri 02 465 578 -113
>> > Fri 03 709 763 -54
>> > Fri 04 753 725 28
>> > Fri 05 578 475 103
>> >
>> > the traffic was about the same as the same period 24 hours ago....
>> >
>> > 1 select to_char(time_stamp,'hh24'), min(elap), max(elap), avg(elap),
>count(*)
>> > 2 from wwv_flow_activity_log1$
>> > 3 where time_stamp between to_date( '01-mar-2002 2am', 'dd-mon-yyyy
>hham' )
>> > 4 and to_date( '01-mar-2002 5am', 'dd-mon-yyyy hham' )
>> > 5* group by to_char(time_stamp,'hh24' )
>> > flows_at_OSI816> /
>> >
>> > TO MIN(ELAP) MAX(ELAP) AVG(ELAP) COUNT(*)
>> > -- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
>> > 02 .14 2.42 .380516129 465
>> > 03 .14 2.15 .354654443 709
>> > 04 .14 2.32 .364196547 753
>> >
>> > flows_at_OSI816>
>> >
>> > the pages/hour for that period looked OK as well.
>> >
>> > I'll have someone look at the network later but I don't see any problems
>on this
>> > end.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Thomas Kyte (tkyte@us.oracle.com) http://asktom.oracle.com/
>> > Expert one on one Oracle, programming techniques and solutions for
>Oracle.
>> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861004826/
>> > Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corp
>>
>> OSI816 ?!?!
>>
>> Surely you're not using 8.1.6 - the people at Oracle marketing told me
>> that this was obsolete and that everyone in the world was upgrading to,
>> or already on, 9i
>>
>> I can't believe they would be be lying to me :-)
>>
>> --
>> ==============================
>> Connor McDonald
>>
>> http://www.oracledba.co.uk
>>
>> "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue..."
>

>Guess what I saw them using at Oracle University in the Netherlands in
>November 2001 during an 8i upgrade course?
>And they didn't even have updated the course notes to 8.1.7
>Also the instructor was complaining they were not allowed to choose their
>own hardware anymore, so they would loose their Unix systems.
>
>Strange enough there were some slides about hot standby databases, which is

you mean EE?

>I pointed him to this fact and he replied with 'Who is using Standard?'

I apoligize for them, shouldn't say that.

>But then of course Larry's wealth is not even nearing Bill's wealth, so he
>probably can't afford running his own databases on a current version.
>

>If Oracle Corp doesn't upgrade, why upgrade at all?

before you flame me -- you should realize that whats in my prompt was the global name or sid (depending on what login.sql I used). It wasn't the version -- sorry for the confusion.

flows_at_OSI816> select * from v$version;

BANNER

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.2.0 - Production PL/SQL Release 8.1.7.2.0 - Production
CORE 8.1.7.0.0 Production
TNS for Solaris: Version 8.1.7.2.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 3.4.1.0.0 - Production

flows_at_OSI816>

there, it's supported.

>There are many sites in the Netherlands running desupported software, and my
>firm, working in remote maintenance, is more and more getting hurt by that,
>because if anything happens (and none of these customers have EAS or ECS) we
>are simply stuck. I already have several problems which I can't address
>without upgrading.
>
>Anyone of the Oracle regulars care to comment?

just did. I run on current software. I also realize however that for many real world cases -- people WON'T or CANNOT. I therefor do run 716, 723, 734, various 8.0 and 8.1 releases as well as 9i -- in order to try and help. I personally don't see too much wrong with running some systems on old stuff. If you don't change ANYTHING (by that I mean hardware, software, OS, patch level, bug fixes to your OWN applications, new development) -- it should keep on trucking for quite a while. It is when you try to add new features to your system, upgrade the OS, change the hardware - change SOMETHING that you are asking for trouble. It is people who DEVELOP with old software that run into problems.

What I cannot understand (or stand) is people who upgrade the OS to a brand new OS (Not to pick on windows users but it does seem to be a problem of orders of magnitude larger with that group of users then UNIX users but.... I consider Windows XP for example to be a brand new OS -- it is not NT, it is not 2000 it is not 98 it is not 95 it is not ME -- they are ALL separate and distinct from eachother) and expect 5 year old database software to still function or install (i mean the database software was written 5 years before the OS and they get mad it won't install)...