Re: Oracle Corp using desupported versions for it's activities was Re: asktom.oracle.com

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:16:36 -0000

"Thomas Kyte" <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote in message news:a5r5c501c3g_at_drn.newsguy.com...
<snip>
> >> OSI816 ?!?!
> >>
> >> Surely you're not using 8.1.6 - the people at Oracle marketing told me
> >> that this was obsolete and that everyone in the world was upgrading to,
> >> or already on, 9i
> before you flame me -- you should realize that whats in my prompt was the
global
> name or sid (depending on what login.sql I used). It wasn't the
version --
> sorry for the confusion.

Which well illustrates why I never recommend customising the sqlplus login prompt. It is all too easy to be fooled.

<and on keeping current>
> just did. I run on current software. I also realize however that for
many real
> world cases -- people WON'T or CANNOT. I therefor do run 716, 723, 734,
various
> 8.0 and 8.1 releases as well as 9i -- in order to try and help. I
personally
> don't see too much wrong with running some systems on old stuff.

I'm with this as well. The databse is only one portion of the application. In fact our HR system here is still running on 7.3.4. Reason being the vendor has only just come up with support for 8i. This is not at all uncommon. As we are well aware probably 80% plus of problems lie in application code. I'd much rather run an unsupported database than an unsupported app.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA