Re: CREATE SEQUENCE commits transaction

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 1 Mar 2002 06:19:59 -0800

Gert Brinkmann <gbrinkmann_at_dimedis.de> wrote in message news:<3C7F63D4.D96A40B0_at_dimedis.de>...
> Hello,
>
> i have found that the CREATE SEQUENCE statement commits the current
> transaction. Is this behaviour correct?
>
> I understand that a sequence is not handled inside a transaction to
> avoid lockings, but it should not commit a running transaction, isn't
> it!?
>
> Gert

Gert, a CREATE statement of any type is a DDL statemenat and all DDL statements implicitly commit before and after they execute. Only DML: select, insert, update, and delete statements may be done within a transaction.

Why would you be creating a sequence inside a transaction, anyway? I would think you would be selecting a sequence value inside the transaction, not trying to create one.

HTH
-- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Mar 01 2002 - 08:19:59 CST