Re: Stupid question: how can I get a DBA job?

From: John Claxton <claxton_at_networkessentials.com>
Date: 20 Feb 2002 07:07:43 -0800

Al,

   Both Mark and Daniel make good points. The typical company wants someone with a Phd, 37 years of experience on every platform, operating system, and database tool, willing to work 30 to 40 hours per day for $11,500 USD per annum. They will also typically settle for less. Spend some time in the job sites (Monster, HotJobs, ComputerJobs, etc, etc, etc).
*Carefully* read the job requirements and do some serious self evaluation. A key question to ask of yourself is "Would I hire me to do this job if my company depended on the results?". Answer honestly.

     The other responses both suggested moving into the DBA role from a developer role. I got there a little differently. I was a system manager/administrator and picked up the DBA hat because the office where the dba sat seemed to have a revolving door.

     There is a certain mind-set that goes with the dba role that more closely matches the sysadmin role than a developer role, IMHO. I've seen some developers become very good dbas. I've seen some that couldn't leave the myopia of development behind them. No offense to developers. You *need* myopia in that role. It represents *goodness*.  The dba role, like the sysadmin role, requires a view of the larger picture.
jc
Over 1,000 study questions at
http://www.networkessentials.com/certified/ocp .