Re: Stupid question: how can I get a DBA job?

From: damorgan <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:06:16 GMT

I agree with you with one caveat. The production DBA role is definitely more like that of a sysadmin than a developer. But usually DBAs spend a lot of their time tuning, debugging, and HOPEFULY, acting as advisors and mentors to the development team. Without the ability to read, write, and understand development they are totally useless in that role. All they become is high priced baby sitters that are occassionally asked to patch an instance or restore from a backup tape.

Daniel Morgan