updating a field speed improvement.

From: Craig Lehn <clehn_at_consystint.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:39:45 -0500

Problem the problem I am in countering is.. I have a table named "weekly" which contains a date for which hours were worked on, I need to include a column which has the week-ending date in it. i have no primary key and hence it requires the update be based on all the information currently available in the row.

My current solution to this problem is to take the table afterwards and query the wdate(the date which the hours were placed against). Then after that calculate the weekending date, from there update the database with the entry. This is a fairly lengthy procedure.

Is there something other then the cursor to allow assignment of the date row? Is there a way to figure out the date ending on the insert?(I doubt it) Is there a way to buffer all the data so there is one big insert at the end? Or is there any other options?

Thanx ahead of time.