Inserting value of exactly 1 million error

From: Jim McMahon <Jim.Mcmahon_at_scott.af.mil>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:25:50 GMT

I have a problem wherein attempts to insert a value of exactly 1 million into an Oracle Number(16,2) field fails from within my Borland C++ Builder (BCB) application using the Borland Database Engine and a TQuery component. The TQuery parameter data type is float.

All other values insert OK, but when inserting one million a value of ":00000" is stored. If we use Oracle's SQL*PLUS to insert the value, it works OK.

From google group searching, we've found that others have had this problem and corrected it by using version 5.00.7303 of MSVCRT.DLL -- the few historical threads we found about this topic were in this newsgroup and borland.public.delphi.database.servers.

The consensus seemed to be that the problem was actually a flaw the the MSVCRTruntime library, but one post did state that " This is a known bug in Oracle version 7.3.2.0 is fixed in version 7.3.4.0." All threads seemed to be in the 1998 timeframe.

The versions of MSVCRT.DLL on my system are all later than the version suggested by the historical threads as a fix:

  6.00.8397.0
  6.00.8337.0
  6.10.8455.0

Other software versions I'm using are:
  Oracle Server: both 7.3 and 8i
  Oracle Client: 7.3.3
  C++ Builder: 3.0
  BDE: 5.01 Searching Oracle Tech Net and Microsoft sites with key words "million" and "msvcrt" have not yielded results. Since the original posts were mostly on this group, I'm wondering if anyone here can explain to me what needs to be done to correct the error.

I'm willing to try an older version of msvcrt.dll if necessary, but am wondering if obtaining version 7.3.4 of Oracle client would be a better correction.

Any help anyone can provide is appreciated. Received on Wed Feb 13 2002 - 08:25:50 CST