Re: DBA Survey...please take a few seconds to help a class full of future dba's :)

From: Alan Shein <alanshein_at_erols.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 15:42:08 -0500

English is a bit like programming- one has many choices, and some are better than others. DBA's could mean, "belonging to the DBA". "DBAs" has only one meaning. While we're on the subject, " DBAs' " would mean "belonging to more than one DBA," so you see that the placement of the apostrophe _is_ important. Now, all that being said, I also believe that the purpose of language is to communicate ideas, and so long as that purpose is met (the receiver properly interprets the sender's message,) then who cares if the rules were followed? The rules help to enforce clarity, and therefore proper interpretation, so it is wise (though, as you point out, not mandatory) to choose the best rule on each occasion. It also occurs to me that talking about "rules" and "English" in the same sentence is almost an oxymoron. There are probably more exceptions than rules. They should really be called "suggestions". Here's a suggestion from William Safire: "Never use a big word when a diminutive one will do."