Re: Need advice !!

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:19:14 -0000

I'm expecting to be flamed for this advice (at least the second bit).

Part 1). Please consider buying (many) more disks. 4 disks isn't anywhere near enough for a high performing database disk subsystem. an example might be

2 disks - os & swap
2 disks - oracle sw
4 disks - data files 1
4 disks - data files 2
2 disks - redo logs 1
2 disks - redologs 2
2 disks - archived redo

Part 2)
If you can only keep to the 4 disks you might as well put the whole lot on RAID5. You'll get reasonable performance with the controller you have without too high a raid overhead in terms of disks. This solution is most definitely sub-optimal but it is easy and straightforward.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA