[HELP] How to set up DBI for Oracle?

From: John Doe <workingstiff19_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 19:52:07 -0800

I downloaded DBI from CPAN, and DBD for Oracle (DBD-Oracle-1.12). The DBI README said Tk is needed, so I downloaded that (could not get it to build, but found a binary at sunfreeware.com).

I just want to query Oracle tables from Perl scripts! Why do I need Tk (which is for X Windows)? What do I need to just query textual data? I am using Solaris and HP-UX.

I have set up all kinds of stuff Unix (servers, compilers & apps), but this has me *stumped*! I've read the README's. What did I miss? The guy I spoke to at Oracle sales (1-800-ORACLE1) said to download ODBC from otn.oracle.com, but the O'Reilly book says DBI is easier than ODBC. (That book is about using DBI but not setting it up.)

Sorry for the cross-post boys, but I am getting desperate! If you would rather e-mail me than post your reply, feel free! I must be STUPID because I have not found one other post in this vein in the Google archive --everyone else has apparently done it with ease, so someone *please* enlighten me.

Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com Received on Fri Feb 01 2002 - 21:52:07 CST