Re: All connections to my Oracle DB hang my system

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 10 Jan 2002 06:58:18 -0800

"Daniel A. Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3C3C37B7.20F8B418_at_exesolutions.com>...
> Have you tried connecting through server manager?
>
> Daniel Morgan
>

> Simon Gadd wrote:
>
> > Any suggestions.
> >
> > I am running Oracle 8i on a Windows 2000 PC.
> >
> > It ran fine for 6 months. Recently it has decided to play up.
> >
> > Every time I try to connect to the DB the program I use simply hangs.
> >
> > This is the same if I'm using SQL/PLUS, Forms, Reports or whatever tries to
> > connect to the DB.
> >
> > Any and all suggestions as to a possible cure would be most welcome.
> >
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > Simon Gadd
> >
> > Please reply to simon_at_dogfighter.co.uk Thanks

When we suffer hangs on connection it generally means that some type of system error is occuring. I would expect to find the cause in the alert log. Are there any errors listed in the alert log, or are any trace files being generated?

Being NT has anyone checked that the Oracle services are running? Has anyone checked the OS logs (whatever logs Windows 2000 has)?

Good luck.