Is Oracle really worth it?

From: inferno2000 <inferno2000_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 12 Dec 2001 18:13:18 -0800

After a long and quiet 1.5 years in operation, our Oracle database once again runs into wierd, undocumented internal error (ora-600 [12700],[1493234693],[93]) during mission-critical processes. The process halts upon error and it takes quite awhile before the problem is resolved to continue normal operation.

Query to Oracle results in explaination which clearly cannot be foreseen or prevented in anyway. It makes me wonder then, does Oracle really worth it? Is there no way to count on Oracle to behave properly? Can't a bug free process be expected to always run to completion when using Oracle database? If Oracle is not the answer, does that mean Microsoft or SyBase SQL server is the better database as far as stability and reliabiltiy is concerned?

I would also like to point out that I have been working with Oracle database for 7 long years. And this is not the first time it crashed/aborted with an internal error. Such shortcoming may be ok for less time-critical operations, but it really is unacceptable for mission-critial system. Received on Wed Dec 12 2001 - 20:13:18 CST