Re: UTL_SMTP : 421 Service not available ?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 19:04:38 +0300

Just one slight suggestion:

when you issue utl_smtp.helo(), you should generally specify the IP or domain name of the host that connects to the server, not that of the SMTP server itself or just some fake string. Some servers do validation of HELO parameters and deny access if domain name and/or IP address specified by the sender do not match actual values the server got when it accepted the connection (this is done to prevent spam through the server).

PSP_Mail, our Oracle8i emailing solution built around UTL_SMTP, allows you to avoid this and many other issues with the many different versions of SMTP servers out there, plus it allows to send e-mails with LOB attachments, can detect recipient's email server and send directly to it, provides NLS support for both message body and headers allowing you to send e-mails in your native language which are fully conformant to MIME standard, and more.

You can try it out for free by downloading an evaluation copy from http://www.dpsp-yes.com, and it's fairly priced if you decide it is of help to you.