Exists clause returns No Data Found

From: Sandy Murdock <jmurdock_at_dialoguewizard.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2001 15:20:18 -0800

I am having trouble.

I am trying to write a query into a package which will use the 'Exists' clause.

I am trying to use parameters to decide if a row matching the one I am about to enter exists, ie:

I have a number of courses, I want to be able to run the same 'course' using different dates, so if the course code exists, and it matches the date that I am about to insert, I know it is a duplicate, and I want to prevent that.

I have tried the following:

select 1 into varExists from Dual
where Exists (select max(CourseID) from sch_Course_Table where CourseNumber = varCourseNumber and deptCodeId =varDeptCodeID and season=varseason and courseYear=varcourseYear);

This works fine as long as the query returns a row - however, whenever the query inside the exists statement does not contain rows - the package/procedure stops with a 'No Data Found' error.

The purpose of this is to allow branching logic, if exists is true - update, if exists is false insert.

If exists is false it dies.

What am I doing wrong??

Thank you. Received on Fri Nov 30 2001 - 17:20:18 CST