Re: Hinting the CBO

From: Robert Massey <rmassey_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:04:51 -0500

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 15:37:46 -0000, Jonathan Lewis, wrote:

} Have you tried the PUSH_PRED hint.
} Its action is to push join predicates into
} views, so may do what you want when
} combined with the ORDERED USE_NL(c)

Do you mean PUSH_JOIN_PRED? I did try adding PUSH_JOIN_PRED(c) with (and without) the other hints, but it didn't help. I couldn't find PUSH_PRED in the v8.1.5 docs, but I have just tried it anyway. Alas, it didn't work either.

I may just be expecting too much from this version of the CBO, though it looks like the sort of thing that, with proper hinting, _should_ work.

I find your book to be excellent, by the way.

--
Robert

"That's why it's always worth having a few philosophers around the
place. One minute it's all Is Truth Beauty and Is Beauty Truth, and Does
A Falling Tree in the Forest Make A Sound if There's No one There to
Hear It, and then just when you think they're going to start dribbling
one of 'em says, Incidentally, putting a thirty-foot parabolic reflector
on a high place to shoot the rays of the sun at an enemy's ships would
be a very interesting demonstration of optical principles."
        -- The many and varied advantages of philosophy
           (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)