Oracle9i failover callbacks: do they work?

From: Piero Stanchi <piero.stanchi_at_iol.it>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 17:44:48 +0100

Oracle 9i (9.0.1) on Linux SUSE 7.3
It seems that OCI failover callbacks do not work. I register a callback function as the manuals say. When I break the connection with the primary dbms (by shutting it down), I get a segmentation fault and the failover mechanism does not work. The mechanism works (I immediately get a connection on the backup database) if I do not register any failover callback function.
The problem is that I need my application to be failover-aware, so I need that the Oracle Client stack notifies the application that a failover is going on. The callback function is never called. In the traces I get the following text:

nsrdr: got NSPTMK packet
nserror: nsres: id=0, op=70, ns=12582, ns2=0; nt[0]=0, nt[1]=0, nt[2]=0; ora[0]=0, ora[1]=0, ora[2]=0
nserror: nsres: id=0, op=70, ns=12630, ns2=0; nt[0]=0, nt[1]=0, nt[2]=0; ora[0]=0, ora[1]=0, ora[2]=0
nioqbr: state = normal (0)
nioqsm: send-break: failed to send break...

nioqper:  error from send-marker
nioqper:    nr err code: 0
nioqper:    ns main err code: 12583
nioqper:    ns (2)  err code: 0
nioqper:    nt main err code: 0
nioqper:    nt (2)  err code: 0
nioqper:    nt OS   err code: 0

nioqbr: returning 3113

And:

oerr tns 12630
12630, 00000, "Native service operation not supported"
// *Cause: An operation requested by a user is not supported by the native

//          services component.

// *Action: This may be an internal error if the operation should have been
// supported.

Does all this mean that the failover callback mechanism is not implemented in Oracle 9.0.1 for Linux SUSE 7.3?
By the way, I tried the whole thing with Oracle 8.1.7 on Linux RedHat 7.1, and I got the same results.
Is a default installation/configuration insufficient to make the failover callbacks work?
Thanks for any hint.
Piero Received on Thu Nov 22 2001 - 10:44:48 CST