Re: One or more Databases

From: Michael A. Howard <mhoward_at_mahoward.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:47:37 -0800

Harry

The concepts and parlance between Oracle & SQL Server are a bit different so in SQL server you would have one Server with multiple "databases" (say one for each application).

In Oracle I would do this as separate "schemas" running in a Single Instance.

I would NEVER run production, test and development "databases" on the same server - a production server should be reliable, a development environment may be subject to developers doing things that may cause a production server to slow down or crash.

There are advantages to running Multiple Instances of Oracle on a single server IF that server has sufficient resources to handle the load. Personally I wouldn't consider doing this using a Windows Server but others mileage may vary.

If you need to watch things like table growth etc you probably need to have separate tablespaces (for instance to separate out BLOBs) for those tables or columns of data that need to be watched.

Mike