Re: Startup via SQL Embedded

From: Renato Fabiano <renatofabiano_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Oct 2001 13:22:21 -0700

hi folks,

Regarding Niall Litchfied observations:

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message ...

> I do however have a couple of objections.
>
> 1. svrmgrl is desupported so that part of the code shouldn't be included
> imo.

I didn't use svrmgrl. I just used that line in the first local test I had made and, as you said, I'm starting the Oracle db instance using only sqlplus.

> 2. what happens if your applications site uses password authentication for
> sysdba operations? what happens if the password changes.

The sample code I have posted (startup_db.c) was used just to make my point clearer. Of course, I can read "username" and "passwd" from a configuration file or directly from the application user interface and then use:

sprintf( sqlplus_cmd_start, "CONNECT %s/%s AS SYSDBA", username, passwd );

in order to create the final CONNECT command string.

If username and passwd were empty I would have the command "CONNECT / AS SYSDBA", as before, for a user of "dba" group validated by OS, and I would have the command "CONNECT <username>/<passwd> AS SYSDBA" otherwise, used for a password validated SYSDBA user.

Therefore, I don't have to change my program both when the password change or the authentication process change from OS dba group to passwd sysdba file.

> So yes it is *possible* to write a program in c (or presumably in any other
> language of your choice) to control external progs to start up the Oracle
> database. However anytime the startup routine changes the program needs
> recompilation. Surely the tried and tested approach of a shell script is
> better. 3 & 4GL languages have their place. scripting isn't one of them.

I am thinking better of, but you haven't yet give me any strong motive to change my mind, IMHO.

Moreover, at the beggining of this debate, I'd like to startup the database without using an Oracle Utility, for example "sqlplus",
using just a local developed standalone application, and now I can see that this is impossible, isn't it?

My last questions are:
it isn't recomendable to start an Oracle instance without using Oracle Corporation utilities, but is it possible?

Does any third part program do that (db instance startup)? (If yes, I'm sure that we can do too)

Thank you very much,
regards,

Renato Fabiano Received on Wed Oct 17 2001 - 15:22:21 CDT