Re: Startup via SQL Embedded

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:39:51 +0100

"Renato Fabiano" <renatofabiano_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2358ca76.0110171222.39366a8d_at_posting.google.com...
> Moreover, at the beggining of this debate, I'd like to
> startup the database without using an Oracle Utility,
> for example "sqlplus",
> using just a local developed standalone application,
> and now I can see that this is impossible, isn't it?
>
> My last questions are:
> it isn't recomendable to start an Oracle instance without using
> Oracle Corporation utilities, but is it possible?

No. It isn't possible. The best you can do is automate Oracle Tools in some way. Moreover it is as I, Sybrand and others have said a horrible, horrible thing to even contemplate. Any DBA worth their salt would refuse point blank to accept responsibility for a database that ordiinary users have effective administrative rights over.

You say that we haven't offered convincing reasons, but between us we have offered security, supportability and maintainability. In addition Sybrand and myself have both told you that what you want to do is impoissible anyway. I don't often get frustrated with requests in these groups but you reallly do seem to be doggedly in pursuit of a daft and horrible vision. Please go back to letting application developers write apps and dba's administer databses. you know it makes sense.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA