Re: Startup via SQL Embedded

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 23:33:21 +0200

"Renato Fabiano" <renatofabiano_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2358ca76.0110151320.29413c1b_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've been developing an application that access the
> Oracle DB Server via Pro*C.
>
> My difficulty is that this application
> needs to perform the startup of an Oracle instance.
>
> I'd like to know if it's possible to perform the
> startup and shutdown of Oracle DB Server instance
> from an application developed locally,
> instead of using tools developed by Oracle
> Corporation (sqlplus, svrmgrl or OEM).
>
> My preferences are SQL Embedded and Pro*C, but
> I could use OCI too. Or any other suggestion.
>
> Till know, the only way I've found to do that is
> performing a "system()" call to script "dbstart" from
> the C program.
>
> Do you have other idea?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Renato Fabiano

Starting a database through an application is the WORST IDEA I ever saw in this group.
It shouldn't be possible, and any proper DBA will set up his database such you can't do it.
Oracle is not Ms-Access or similar toys

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Oct 15 2001 - 16:33:21 CDT