Backing up redo archive logs

From: Kevin S. Smith <ksmith_at_erieplating.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 16:35:54 -0400

I am using the following method to backup my archive logs without success:

FILES= ls /u04/oradata/arch/*.dbf ; export FILES;

I then restart the arcvhiver and do the following:

tar -rvf /dev/nst0 $files

and I get this:

tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header

I am far fro a linux expert but would like to get my backups on target. I got this method from Kevin Loney's Oracle 8i DBA handbook. Could somebody please steer me in the right direction?

Thanks
Ksmith Received on Mon Oct 08 2001 - 15:35:54 CDT