Re: The Connect role

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 19:11:46 +0200

"Simon Cunningham" <cs40_at_gre.ac.uk> wrote in message news:3BC1BE5C.265E0F4E_at_gre.ac.uk...
> If I want a user just to connect and look at data wouldnt it be just the
> connect role that they would be granted?
>
> I have done this but when connecting as this account the user can still
> create tables. Tried revoking create table statement but comes back as
> ORA-01952: system privileges not granted to 'GUEST'
> Issued a
>

> SIM>select granted_role from dba_role_privs where grantee='GUEST';
>
> GRANTED_ROLE
> CONNECT
>
> So What is exactly in CONNECT, and/or how do I stop users creating
> tables in the guest account.
>
> Thanks in advance

Create session privilege and select privilege on individual objects is sufficient.
The connect role is unnecessary, and I wouldn't bother any quota as with connect you don't get any quota, the automatic unlimited tablespace privilege is granted by the *resource* role.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Oct 08 2001 - 12:11:46 CDT