Re: I am: Unix sysadmin. I need: Basic DBA skills

From: Galen Boyer <galendboyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Oct 2001 17:19:07 -0500

> Here's a list of skills I'm interested in having.
> * A good conceptual understanding of databases and their
> elements.

This isn't anything Oracle specific. I will leave this one to you. Check Google. There will be boatloads.

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76965/toc.htm

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76956/start.htm#5948

> and examining basic operating features of the database.

Not sure what you mean here.

> * Basic troubleshooting skills to assess general problems with a
> database, or at least to isolate an issue to a certain area or feature
> in an Oracle database.

Not sure what to point you to here. I'm not sure of basic trouble shooting skills. There are alot of different troubleshooting skills.

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76993/toc.htm

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76956/tables.htm#369

--
Galen Boyer